Today, March 20, is International Day of Happiness, a holiday dedicated to increasing happiness throughout the world. In its honor, here are some easy ways to bring happiness to others (and hopefully make yourself feel good, too).
1. Give sincere compliments.
3. Bring donuts to work.
4. Give someone a gift “just because.”
5. Leave post-it notes with kind messages around the house.
6. Plan a nice surprise for someone.
7. Offer to cover a shift for someone who needs a day off.
8. Watch that movie your friend has been begging you to see since last year.
9. Volunteer with a charitable organization.
10. Help someone with chores.
11. Share your lunch.
12. Remind your loved ones how much you care.
13. Let someone else go first.
14. Give someone an uninterrupted chance to talk about their day.
15. Bake treats and deliver them to friends.
16. Help pick up trash in a public place.
17. Give someone a massage (preferably someone you know).
18. Be polite.
19. Cook someone their favorite meal.
20. Take an interest in things that matter to others.
21. Leave a generous tip.
22. Host a get-together.
23. Make extra efforts to express your gratitude.
24. Call/visit/email/text friends or family just to say “hi.”
25. Tell jokes (that are appropriate for the given context).
26. Fill out a positive comment card for a business you like.
27. Treat someone when you go out together.
28. “Like” some extra Facebook posts (or the equivalent on a different site).
29. Reminisce with others about shared fond memories.
Happy people tend to pass positive feelings on to others. Sometimes all it takes is one kind gesture or friendly smile to start a chain reaction of happiness. As more and more people start feeling good, they, too, will spread happiness. If enough people join in, eventually there might just be worldwide happiness epidemic.