1. Bake something- Whether you are a master pastry chef or notorious for your overly salty cookies, baking can be a fun way to spend a few hours. And if you don’t want to eat whatever you make, you can give it away to friends, coworkers, or those in need.
2. Go for a walk- Take a stroll through your neighborhood, explore nearby strip malls, or find a hiking trail. Walking is a great way to get a change of scenery and fit in some exercise at the same time.
3. Text/call a friend- Often our lives get so busy that we put off maintaining relationships with others. Staving off boredom with friendly conversation is a great opportunity to reconnect.
4. Do a word search/crossword puzzle- These are a great way to fill short chunks of free time, and they help keep your brain active.
5. Dabble in photography- Even if all you have is a disposable camera, pretend you are a professional photographer and experiment with lighting, camera angles, etc. You might find a new talent, or at least get a good laugh at your blurry efforts.
6. Play handball/ table tennis- The great thing about these games is that you can play them with friends or alone (if you fold the ping pong table in half and push it against a wall).
7. Write a poem- It doesn’t have to be a fancy Haiku or a perfect sonnet (although it definitely could be). You can channel your inner Dr. Seuss with some fun rhymes or experiment with free verse.
8. Put together a recipe book- You know all those recipes written down on scraps of paper all over your kitchen? Get a binder and consolidate them into a custom recipe book. You could even add a few new recipes that you have been wanting to try.
9. Research something- It could be sharks, the history of hot dogs, or the latest developments in neuroscience. Pick anything, and learn way more about it than anyone should know.
10. Re-watch your favorite movie- Who cares if you already know it by heart?
11. Clean out your closet- Pull out old clothes you never wear. You can even sneak in an act of kindness by donating them to charity.
12. People-watch- This can provide hours of entertainment. Just try not to be too creepy about it.
13. Go to the pet store- You could get your adorableness fix by visiting the puppies, try to find Nemo in the fish section, or fantasize about buying a snake to put in your sister’s bed. The possibilities are endless.
14. Plan your dream vacation-Pretend you have been given an unlimited budget, and a week off to go wherever you want. Pick out the destinations you’ll visit, the places you’ll stay, the food you’ll eat, and the activities you’ll do. Hey, it never hurts to dream, right?
15. Try a new hairstyle- Just think twice before shaving your head.
16. Put together a puzzle- The best thing about puzzles is that they can be as easy or as difficult as you want them to be. Also, there is just something satisfying about fitting little cardboard pieces together.
17. Learn a new skill- Maybe you have always wanted to speak another language, play piano, or make a perfect pie. Whatever skill you want to add to your repertoire, go for it!
18. Memorize a monologue from a popular movie- Impress/ annoy your friends by reciting it every chance you get. Trust me, this will be entirely worth the effort.
19. Make Ooblick- Ooblick is a non-Newtonian substance (in other words, it obeys properties of both liquids and solids) and it is extremely fun to play with. To make it, simply mix 1 cup of water with 1.5 to 2 cups of cornstarch.
20. Do crafts- Watercolor, paint, scrapbook, knit, draw, or do anything else you can imagine.
21. Try Youtube exercise videos- Whether you’re a yoga nut, a Zumba fanatic, or a kickboxing fan, the internet has something for you. Enjoy the opportunity to try some potentially embarrassing forms of exercise in the privacy of your own home.
22. Write a letter to your future self- Write down some of your current interests, friends, worries, etc. Put the letter in an envelope and decide on a future date to open it. Write the date on the outside of the envelope and keep it where you won’t forget about it.
23. Watch a foreign language film without English subtitles- Try to figure out what’s happening in the story, then check a synopsis online to see how close you were.
24. Take a personality test- It can be a formal test, backed by psychological research, or a silly test along the lines of “What flavor of ice cream are you?” or “Which 80’s band should you have joined?”
25. Start a bucket list- Eliminate your current boredom by writing down all the fun things you plan to do in the future. You could even start making plans to do some of them!